Tuesday, November 23, 2010

There's something about running!

Well, it all started because of vanity. I started "gymming" last year in July with hope of gaining some upper body strength so that I can carry my son around without hurting my back, and to get (ahem!) shapely legs. I did gain upper body strength but my legs remained as unshapely as before. After hearing my work out regime one of my friend (a taewkondo instructor) suggested that I should start running.

So I started running since the beginning of this year at Stotsenburg Park*, a beautiful ground inside Clark airbase, with a running track of 2.2 km, some 100 meters from our home. At first, my target was to do one lap without running out of breath. It took almost a month to achieve my target. Then I came to know about a rotary 5K run being held at the park. I started training for that three times a week. I did my first 5K run in Feb. I stopped going to the gym as I genuinely started to enjoy running. From there on, there was no looking back and I went on do my first 10K run in August. Currently, I'm training for my first half marathon (21K) which is scheduled to be held on Dec 5th. In between, I attempted my first trail run not knowing what it entails! I can never forget my Mt Pinatubo trail run experience. Even though I didn't manage to finish the run (decided to stop at 37K, with 13K to the finish line) it still feels like a dream. However, I successfully completed a 24K extreme trail run in November.

Somebody questioned me the other day "why do you run?". It got me thinking - why from being an absolutely non-athletic person for 28 years, I took a U-turn to run? Fitness is one thing but the long runs (I do between 10k-20k) take me to a different plane. Each time, doing the first 5K is a struggle but after that I reach a state of thoughtlessness/trance and that's where I'm in complete touch with myself. A couple of months back one of my friends had said "running is a higher level of meditation" and at that point I realized how true it is. Apart from the fact that toxins leave my body with the sweat, I feel all the negative energies leaving me as well when I run. I feel much more settled and comfortable in my own skin now. Also, from a financially independent woman to now a home maker, I guess the need to prove that I'm still capable of "achieving" is stronger. I don't know if any "happy" hormones are released during or after running, but I'm surely a happier person now. I strongly believe and endorse that - "there's something about running!"

As far as shape of my legs is concerned, I give a damn now! :)

* The parade ground has a wonderful history behind it. You can read about it at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Stotsenburg

6 comments:

Shweta said...

After having Mayra, i got so consumed in bringing her up and trying to do everything right for her (which is unachieveable in parenting), that i almost forgot that i have a soul,intellect and body that too need nourishment..your latest entry makes a lot of sense and is totally enlightening for people like us who go from being independent fierce people to stay at home moms. As i said before "keep them coming"

Sahana said...

What a package! You think good, and you write good! :)

And by the way, your legs look great! Damn!!

Anupriya Kapur said...

Shweta I know exactly how you feel!

Anupriya Kapur said...

Sahana - Thanks you so much :) Thoughts come easy but writing is a huge challenge for me!

IM said...

Wonderful piece anu! I agree with the 'happy hormones'. Once you overcome the initial lethargy it does take you into a trance where you find your body running mechanically in space. It feels like an out of body experience, completely oblivious to surroundings.
Specially as stay at home moms its essential to have a means of discipline and focus. And not a better way of rewarding your body and your soul!

Anupriya Kapur said...

Ireena - I'm glad you liked it :) The whole out of body experience that you are talking about is so true and I feel it almost each time I run for more than one hour.